When dealing with stressors how do you cope? What are the top three ways you cope when life hits you with a ball of fire? Coping mechanisms are learned behavioral patterns used to cope with life’s problems such as deaths, stress and pain. Many of us learned how to cope at a young age. However, others like me never learned how to cope with life’s problems.
We feel a variety of emotions during our lifetime some good and some bad. Our reactions to our emotions are the way we behave. Once again some good and some bad events will happen but there are positive ways to cope. If someone is angry at someone maybe they will talk with that person and resolve their problems; this is a positive way to cope. But then maybe they don’t go talk the problems out and go shoot all their family members; this is a bad way of coping.
My point being is you need to have positive coping skills to prepare or help deal with some of the stressors in your years to come. So let’s talk about some ways that you can deal with them in a positive way. Try some of these coping skills from the list below and remember that everything happens for a reason.
Here are some of different responses that may happen
- Mental responses- ‘’I am not worth anything’’ or ‘’ I hate you’’
- Emotional responses- Fear, anger, sadness
- physical responses- Stomach upset, headaches
- Behavior responses- Drinking , over eating and even self-harm
Here is a list of some POSITIVE ways to cope
- Deep breathing
- Journal your feelings
- Seek support
- set goals to prevent overwhelming
- Cry, laugh, yell in a safe place
- Positive self-talk
- Any legal way of doing what you like to do